Monday, November 29, 2010

Android^D^D^D^D^D^D^DCyber Monday

I've heard a lot about this magical "Cyber Monday" effect, and never really believed it until today. I've sold almost as much Android hardware in the past 3 days - including today - than I have in the previous MONTH. And the day isn't even over... I can't figure out where all the traffic is coming from...

It's like the Slashdot Effect met the Digg and Reddit Effect, and got in a three-way love triangle. And then the bastard child grew up and wanted to program Android. I guess on the one hand, I'm happy that a lot of people like the kits I'm building, and on the other hand I'm thinking to myself,... I have a lot of work to do.

It's only 2 pm, and for the first time in a long time, I'm low on almost all of the inventory and products I stock at Liquidware... but especially on the Android hardware development kits. For those that don't know, this is a big deal because all of the kits are hand made, hand soldered, and hand packaged by Will, Chris, Matt and me. I usually like to keep enough kits built up so I can hack on a few of them myself, but today, I'm so low that I've had to cancel most of my plans for the next week so I can catch up (sorry Nick!)...

The next 10-14 days are going to be ridiculous, but I will do the best I can to ensure that I don't go out of stock on anything for too long. Here's my plan:

-I'm going to spend all day soldering and building
-I'm going to spend all night programming
-I'm going to spend all "meta-night" packaging


"Meta-night" is my name for that time of the night when you really ought to be asleep, but aren't, because the program isn't compiling for some reason, and you really want to get it done before the next day. Also known as 1 am - 5 am.

I guess all I can say is, thanks for supporting Liquidware, and for supporting Open Source, the Open Source Hardware movement, hardware hacking, Arduino, and Android.

Now it's my turn to work my ass off to make sure everything gets out in time!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Add some Google Analytics code to your pages real quick and you'll know where everyone is coming from!

Matt said...

@Rob :-) I'll give that a shot - looks like Google searching is doing a lot of the trick. Weird...

Unknown said...

Wow, quite long days ahead Matt, good luck! Appreciate your hard work!

A couple quick questions, does the beagletouch work on the new beagleboard xm? will the linux lcd-driver (liquidware linux kernel) also work without modifications on the xm?

And last, any way to buy just the headers?

Unknown said...

Answering myself here; just received the xm: no, beagletouch is not directly pin compatible with the beagleboard xm. the lcd-headers ++ is mirrored compared to the old beagleboard, this will cause some modifications (the beagletouch has to be mirrored compared to the beagleboard.) that sucks! anyway, if you make a beagletouch compatible with xm, I'll buy one asap!